Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Party Like a Rock Star



The 40 dollar guitar I bought a month ago is probably now worth millions. It has been played by Steven Tyler, after all. He's the lead singer of Aerosmith...also the man with the biggest mouth and most feminine look on the planet, both of which are totally cool with me. So how in the world did he get his hands on my guitar? Well, it's a little different than you might expect.

My laid-back buddy, fellow American and volunteer, David and I were meeting some of his students at the school where he teaches. We were planning to go to the beach and what is a trip to the beach without some time spent chillin' on the guitar? Exactly. We arrived at the school, guitar in hand, only to find that there was a gigantic party happening. All 4 million students and staff (approximate number) were packed into the auditorium for a preliminary party before the party. The air had the typical mixed smell of body odor and perfume, common to any decent concert. All in attendance must have had some ungodly sugar fix before arriving, too. They were hyped.

The director spotted me with my guitar and asked if I would like to perform for everyone. David said I looked like I'd been punched in the face, but holding true to my 'Why Not?" philosophy of life, I obliged. When they asked what my name was I told them with a bit of choked back laughter, "Steven Tyler." My palms were sweaty by the time the MC got on the mike and excitedly blasted, "blah faljf blah ldioaul blah, Steven Tyler!!"

The audience loved me as evidenced by their mobbing me on my salmon-swimming-upstream-esque effort to exit. Needless to say, I now cannot walk anywhere in this area without being solicited for autographs and a chance to play my guitar. I've signed shirts, hands, pants, discarded candy wrappers, school notebooks, all while the kids scream my name wildly. I laugh to myself every time some random stranger on the street calls my name, which is a daily occurrence.

Music is a great equalizer when it comes to language barriers, too. I carry my guitar with me to most places because I've found that I meet infinitely more people that way. We swap songs and sometimes get back together to jam. It's definitely provided a lot of fun memories with strangers and we have a load of fun with it at work, too, doing spontaneous harmonica, guitar, drum and dance sessions. My chubby 5-yr. old host brother now holds hilarious nightly concerts as well. Maybe all these memories are where it's transformed itself into a million-dollar prize.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even believe the Steven Tyler story. Everyone in the area asks you for autographs? I can't even imagine how that feels. You are a Moroccan rock star! Amazing!
    It sounds like your love for the guitar has helped you make some cool friends! That is great... I need to start carrying something around so that people want to talk to me. I don't think the stroller with three kids and 12 bags really makes people want to approach me! :)
    I freaking love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you've always said, music breaks down all barriers, so true! WOW! I think this has been my favorite post so far. It makes me smile and I can totally picture you really getting into it! Your new nickname: Steven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear friend Merry Christmas & Happy New Year May this Christmas and New Year Bring. Success,Health and prosperity For you and your family and business…… And Hoping that we continue Our association through many more.. Wonderful years ahead!!! Wishing you a Merry Christmas!! A Happy New Year 2014 Regards, Ibrahim Asquarray

    ReplyDelete