Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pioneer Children Sang As They Walked...


...and walked and walked and when they were tired of that, they walked some more. Mount Toubkal, North Africa's tallest mountain at 13,671 feet sounded like a worthy adventure after getting rid of the worst case of camel crotch I've ever had. The snowmelt-fed waterfalls, snow-capped peaks and fresh mountain air were such a contrast to the Sahara.

Sunday involved waking up at 4 AM in hopes to catch the sunrise at the summit. We hiked that day from 5 AM to about 530 PM. I was certainly tired and a bit blistered, but we met some incredible people along the way who made the journey, with its already stunning scenery, even more enjoyable.



Taken from the rooftop of our cabin where I did yoga at sundown. Donia is currently volunteering in Congo working to improve child nutrition. We communicated mostly in Spanish, but she speaks French, Arabic, Malagasy and some English. She's volunteered in many countries and will soon be headed to Haiti for her next gig. She was an inspirational person to be around. I feel like one of the biggest things I've enjoyed about my travels here thus far is the exchange of ideas with exciting people.



Gunther is a German man working with the UN throughout North Africa on policy development in agriculture. He assured me that wandering from place to place every few years with a family can be a wonderful thing. His children quickly become fluent in the languages of whatever country they inhabit. I really enjoyed his honest insights into the struggles of North Africa. Germans have a way of avoiding sugar-coating things.



Our hiking crew. We all met sporadically at the refuge/cabin. We had a lot of fun together. I'm still amazed at how open and hospitable Moroccans are. They treated us to so much food and drink.

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjY6gCFzIrxpf0T4nLbnHQdu64r2M6NDQzkyd7veoukgQ-ushsXIJLRTvNNpqjHIRyGTh3LEbzqZGa5E6CxRKKTTSxpDeoXau7ByzvA-ukiAPSoFTlVF4uc87Wj0Fn26TaE_tX0oWd0g0o/s1600/DSCN0839.JPG">

The summit was beautiful. I love being able to see clearly for miles and miles.

6 comments:

  1. Dane, don't say camel crotch. JK :)

    I'm loving the posts! I ran the wasatch back race this past weekend, and I ran right through Hyrum. You may remember it from such towns as being the one were you grew up? I didn't see a dairy, but I smelled one! I thought of you the whole time. Nothing like cow poop and good friends!

    Oh, my friend's girlfriend is going to be in your program. Her name is Ari. I've never met her, but my friend is cool, so she must be too.

    Keep up the good summit work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many adventures! I'm glad that you are making the most of your time there! The hike sounds amazing! What's that saying......If the view is good, it's worth the climb. And you are meeting so many interesting people...can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words can't really express how incredible I feel that you are experiencing so many cool things!
    This sounds like a hike for Kaylee. Wouldn't you say? ha-yeah right. I would- without a doubt, 100%, no questions asked-be in tears throughout the whole thing. I'm glad you're a little more tough. Sounds majestic.
    Donia reminds me of someone... Volunteers in many countries that most people don't consider visiting. Knows like 79 languages. Has cool ideas. Inspires people. hmmm... I don't know, maybe you could help me out with this one? :)
    Sounds like the two adventures were pretty climatically different. Pretty neat.
    I like the last picture where you are hanging upside down. I think it's really special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geoff! Me and the Lizard love your fluffy hur(hair). It's cute! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those hikings sound fun. I guess it was a little cooler than hiking the streets in Chile huh! remember when we almost got shot in the ghetto on top of that mountain! haha! so funny and speaking of chile i am watching them lose to brasil in the world cup right now. lame! but whaterer. !Viva Chile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dane I know I tuned in late but this is soo cool! I really admire your adventures and your strenght or "mut" that you have to do all these things! you're a really inspiring person and you do good things! I have just been reading your block for the last hour or two! very cool. I am in Germany and was thinking about you because you love christmas here so much too!
    good luck with your new adventure!

    andy (german)

    ReplyDelete