Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Hello 27 Club

Janis Joplin, Brian Jones, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Curt Kobain. What do they all have in common? Probably a number of things, including: wild sex lives, extensive drug use and great musical skills. The one I'm thinking of is that they all died at age 27. I'm guessing since I share none of the other things in common with them, I'll be safe. But, just in case, I decided to live it up and...

Have a birthday cake in Arabic. This was my second birthday cake. The night before, Asmaa, a Moroccan girl that I swear is the female version of me sometimes, told our waiters it was my birthday. They sang to me in Arabic, French and English. Cute. Fedua, the family nanny, was a bit embarrassed to have her picture taken without her hijab (head scarf). I hesitate to post it, but its just so cute.




Go out to dinner with a Norwegian, a German, some English persons, some Moroccans, a Canadian, an Italian and a fellow American. We had quite the crowd. Its an exciting mixture of cultures and languages whenever we get together.




And what birthday would be complete without a visit to an Elton John concert? His appearance in an Islamic country was monumental. Supposedly (according to a cynical fruit vendor friend named Said) Mohammed said that if you see two homosexuals together you should kill the one and then kill the other. Good thing 'Easy E's' lover wasn't on stage. The Moroccan Parliament had nothing better to do, so they debated for days over whether or not to allow Sir Elton to perform. It was all over the news and I guess Morocco's going to hell in a handbasket by other Islamic countries' standards. Why didn't they make such a big deal out of Mika performing? He's as out as a fat kid in dodgeball.

Anywho, come to find out, many of the songs I thought were Elton John's were probably done by Phil Collins or Billy Joel. Nonetheless, the encore Lion King and "Your Song" numbers were worth the wait. It was fun to pretend that this whole ordeal was being put on because I was born. Maybe I've got ego problems.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great birthday. It's nice that you were able to spend it, yet again, in another country. And, you know, Elton John WAS performing just for you. He's got a man crush because you are so good looking. It sounds like he's not the only boy you're attracting out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Happy Birthday to you! Sounds like you had an amazing day! You totally deserve it too! Also, Morocco sounds like a cultural melting pot....you are have met people from all over the world! We should go visit them in their countries when you get back!!

    ReplyDelete