Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Paradisiacal Cascades



We arrived into the town of Ouzoud well past dark, hungry and eager to sleep. Both of these pleasures were delayed significantly as we unknowingly decided to eat at the restaurant with the slowest service in history. The postponement of sleep was more of a willing engagement. We met Abdul (to my immediate right) who greeted me with a very California surfer English, "Hey brother. We will make music tonight. No problem." And make music we did. Almost every night of this 10 day trip was concluded with a drum, castanet and guitar jam session. This one was made even more lively with the intermissions being filled with entertaining folklore from Abdul.



We finally went to sleep on the rooftop terrace with an amazing starlit sky overhead and the sound of the crashing waterfalls behind us. I awoke early to take a walk to the falls and nearly shat myself as this monkey jumped out of a tree, nearly landing on my head. I honestly thought I was being attacked and began looking forward to rabies shots in my belly button.

The falls were beautiful and extremely cold. But, I felt I had to keep with my trip tradition and bathe only in rivers, ponds or lakes. Admittedly, some of these were hard to come by in the Sahara and my hair began to feel like the beginnings of dreadlocks.

1 comment:

  1. jeepers mister. the pic with the monkey looks like it's from nat'l geographic mag. Your hur is getting pretty long huh, it's nice and foofy too. i like it. ok cuidate mucho y que no llores tanto por tu banano!

    ReplyDelete