Sunday, May 2, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese?





What creams my twinkie? What floats my boat? By what is my crank turned? What causes my pretzel to twist? What motivates my kitty cat to get all dressed up in his pajamas? My responses to these questions would determine what my "Cheese" is according to Dr. J.(not to be confused with the B-ball phenom with a killer afro)



In a book sharing the title of this blog post Spencer Johnson writes of four characters living in a maze who unexpectedly face change when their "Cheese" vanishes. The maze and cheese provide simple metaphors for navigating the sometimes nebulous world of novelty that arrives at life's crossroads.

I have recently approached a point where I've decided to move my own cheese. I've been gnawing on a delicious Pepper Jack brick for the past 8 months, experiencing the softness and occasionally surprising spice of Sunrise Academy, residential treatment center and boarding school for girls. Teaching these lovely students has been an experience that words cannot adequately describe. We've laughed a lot, played a lot, shared many life lessons together and I've felt my capacity to care expand. I've never had a job that has infused me with this much passion and enthusiasm.

But, its time for new "Cheese". Briouats are Moroccan pastries that are pumped full of a variety of fillings and then fried. I've heard of a simple and supposedly incredibly tasty version that calls for cream cheese. They sound delicious. I wonder how they compare with my Pepper Jack brick.

3 comments:

  1. Mitta Danga! What the heck! You live with a 1 month old baby? That is so presh! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm stoked to see that you've posted something from Morocco, oh wait, you haven't. :) But I would like that a lot. Also- I'm wondering about this exclamation mark thing. They really don't have one on their keyboard? You know, it might be kind of fun to use question marks instead. I think that would really throw some folks for a loop! I love you so much? See, I got you with that "?" didn't I? I really do love you! And I hope things are going well. I promise I won't be mad if you post something. Or are you going to do the whole Sunday posting thing again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo quiero un biruaout or whatev it's called. In a little town I like to call El Centro, they have a similar thing. It's a giant, flour tortialla filled with montarey jack cheese and deep fried. Yum, cardiac arrest. I love 'em though. I would love to hear about Morocco! Love ya bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you made it to the country safely! Sounds like you're already having an adventure! Been thinking about you and this yummy cheese thing you get to eat....let me know how that goes! I love you!

    ReplyDelete