Thursday, May 13, 2010

Marrakech Photos



Well, these took so long to load that I'm not going to bother with correcting their orientation. These are my four wives allotted to me underneath Islamic rules. We are at an old ruin built in the 15th century.



This is Vicky aka Hermione Granger. She truly is quite brainy. She speaks Arabic, French, German and some Spanish. Best of all is her English. I feel like she's a kindred spirit. We share a lot of the same views on life, share favorite books and love languages. We are standing in an amazing palace built by a guy who rose from slavery to become ruler of Morocco. Its quite the amazing story, but I think the power and freedom went to his head cause man this place was ELABORATE!



These are our Rasta friends, Youssef and Mustaffah. By the way, when people have a hard time with my name, I just tell them to call me Mustaffah and think of the handicapped hyena from the Lion King laughing at Whoopie Goldberg saying my name over and over. Youssef has offered his house to us as a stopping point on the way to see the nomadic tribes of the Sahara...yeah! Mustaffah lives in the kite-surfing capital of the world which is also home to a world music festival next month. He's offered his place for us to stay as well.



This man gave us a tour of his carpet making plant. They still do it by hand and we watched some ladies working on them. He talked like his brain was a life lessons book which I of course thoroughly enjoyed. I felt like I learned a lot in the 30 minutes we spent together.



I'm standing in front of a famous mosque whose minaret (tower) served as a model for all the mosques in the area. I'm always in awe of what religious belief can motivate people to do/build. Sometimes, I think we focus too much on the negative things that are attached to religious motives. Anywho, this was the place we sat down to have our rendezvous with Rasta. It looks even more spectacular at night.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite thing about this post is the sideways photos. HAHA jk- but it's funny that you didn't switch them around- only you, only you. Well, Mustaffa- it looks like a super cool area with lots of ancient looking buildings. Not to mention ancient ways of bathing and such. Seriously- bucket baths. I can't even imagine. Carpet making by hand? crazy. Man-i feel like you have done so many cool things and you've only been there 2 weeks! It sounds like you will have an awesome time if you stay with Youseff. Kite surfing capital, world music festival, cool rasta guy! Dang- I thought NYC was cool!

    ReplyDelete