Thursday, May 13, 2010

AMESIP



AMESIP is the association with which I am volunteering. It stands for something in French along the lines of Moroccan Association for helping children in precarious situations. Luckily, some folks from IPEC (International Programme on the Elimination of Child Labor www.ilo.org/ipec) were visiting this week doing a study in order to have more ammo for their attempt to get more funding from the UN. Wow, this post has a lot of acronyms. Lol. Jk. Anywho, these folks spoke English well and were able to more clearly explain the organization to me.

These children come from extremely disadvantaged backgrounds and were it not for this organizations’ interventions, they would likely be out on the streets every day working or begging to help support their families. Instead, they get to come to AMESIP and take Arabic, French, Art, PE and Islamic studies classes. They also get to:



Play the harmonica with their noses. This kid gave quite the performance with his dancing, harmonica routine. About 15 other kids and I were laughing ourselves silly for 20 minutes straight.



Sing and dance with me. You can't really tell in the picture, but the one right next to me loves to sing and dance with me. She's quite talented, too.



Give free Arabic lessons to the excited, yet clueless American who repeats everything they say, but learned his lesson about repeating what the teenage boys teach him when one time after doing so, he and the kids were sternly rebuked by an Arabic teacher.

It’s been a great time thus far and in a lot of ways reminds me of my work in Ecuador. I play a lot with the kids and feel we’re learning a lot from each other. I’ll often take a step back and am overcome with gratitude that this organization is in place. I don’t think my heart could take seeing some of these talented, beautiful children wasting their lives away begging or selling cheap plastic toys on the streets.

2 comments:

  1. Yo thug gansgsta status style. I've just spent the last lil' bit catching up on the greatness that is your blog. I've very much enjoyed it! It's no surprise to me that you hung out with a man of the Rasta persuasion (Sometimes I wonder if you're Jaw), said naughty words in another language (you do it all the time in English), or have partied it up with the locals (look at you in that stupid cone shaped hat that's actually kinda cool). It seems that you're enjoying yourself and that's great. Also, I think I spotted an Ed Hardy shirt on the harmonica kid. That's a ballin' brand, son. I'm talkin' $90 for a lady's shirt. Not so underprivileged afterall. Jk, I'm sure it was a gift. Hold to the rod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are Jesus reincarnated!!! I love that you find these programs and volunteer so much of your time! It sounds like a wonderful program to be involved with. Sometimes I wonder why I serve these peeps who are swimming in money and could easily manage on their own.
    I like the acronyms sf (so funny) yag (you are great).
    It sounds like you now have a better understanding of what these children have gone through, and might have had to endure if it weren't for the program! That is one thing that broke my heart in China- there were kids as young as 3 selling cheap things on the streets. :( that's not where kids should be! They need to be making super cute faces and peace signs, or teaching "half the man if only twice Jeffrey Starr, something, something dent in Richard SImmon's car" how to speak like a gangsta, dance and sing with the white guy, and get their boogers all over their good friends harmonica! Keep showing them how to live the dream!

    ReplyDelete