Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"I'll Never Let Go...Until I Drown in Freezing Water"


Friday is the holy day in Islam and many families here in Morocco celebrate with a traditional lunch of delicious couscous. Normally, since my work site is quite far from my home, I pack my lunch that I share with a bunch of attention-and-nutritionally-starved little nuggets. The food is always pleasing to the palate, but definitely lacks the freshness and tradition of couscous. Being surrounded by curious, energetic ankle-biters is not the most calming atmosphere in which to consume calories, either. So, It was with great excitement and a feeling of flattery that I accepted the invitation of one of my students, Hechem, to share the Friday experience with him and his family. The prospect of having a relaxed, more substantive lunch was appealing.

Hechem is one of the few kids I’ve had substantive conversations with because he speaks French. As a result we’ve become quite chummy. Evidence of this can be proven by tallying the number of times he kisses me a day (approximately 7). Keep in mind that Hechem is a 17-year old boy. The Moroccan culture is undeniably the most physical culture to which I’ve been exposed. Of course, this physicality is limited to same-sex interactions most of the time (suck!).

Consistently Moroccan, he insisted that I be made to feel at home. He found it necessary to facilitate this feeling by having me sprawl out on the couch and listen to everyone’s favorite American musician, Bryan Adams, followed by Sean Paul, Celine Dion and some rapper whose name fails me. We also listened to some Arabic artists while sipping some famous mint tea.

Once the couscous was on the table, Hechem proudly stated, “I know the perfect eating music. Couscous tastes so much better with this music.” I was excited to hear some metaphorical Moroccan melody about the delights of couscous when he surprised me with Celine Dion’s, “My Heart Will Go On,” which we’d already listened to at least twice. I started hearing Twilight Zone music and thinking I was back at another one of those awkward church dances where ‘they’, in their efforts to encourage more intimate interaction between sexes, insist on playing those awfully boring slow songs. I don’t know if it was the magic of Celine Dion or just excellent cooking, but as I took my first bite I was in heaven.

We’d been gulping down couscous from the shared bowl in the middle of the table for about five minutes as the music slowly faded. I was hoping for the next song in the couscous mix to be something a little more Moroccan, but Hechem put it on repeat. If I knew how to curse in Arabic, I would have asked him what in the (fill in the blank) he was doing. The song finished for the second time and Hechem unhesitatingly pushed repeat…again. I started laughing my face off and did so even harder with each consecutive replay of the beloved anthem, which happened at least 6 more times.

Luckily, I created a spontaneous intermission by suggesting we do the “Polynesian Jiggle,” a famous dance involving heaps of shaking used to maneuver the massive amounts of food just eaten downward to create room for more. Hechem took to it like a dog to its own vomit. Finally, he played the music I’d wanted to hear and we danced around the dining room for the next five minutes while his mom, aunts and cousins watched with curious delight. Sufficiently jiggled, we finished our meal with a sour buttermilk treat (that I had to choke down), and then lay down for a nap.

We were momentarily sidetracked by a pillow fight with his adorable, nappy-haired 3-year old cousin and then I was left to wonder, “Why don’t Americans take a freaking chill pill and have a two and a half hour lunch break, too?” Although, if the music menu were limited to crappy Canadian love ballads and the Robin Hood soundtrack, I’d rather just chew on my toenails for five minutes and consider that my lunch break.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I had couscous when I was on the little island in Honduras, but it was one of those things that you just add water to. So, I really don't know what it's supposed to taste like, but the "just add water" kind was awful! You'll have to whip a batch of authentic Moroccan food when you get home! (with a side of Celine Dion of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! That is a true lol btw. That is hilarious. I used to have that music video recorded, so Leslee and I would play it and act out the scenes. It really is a nice song. Maybe not 12 times in a row, and maybe not for the casual dinner with a friend, but it's a winner in my book. I'm sure that every time you hear that song now, it will make you smile inside.
    Hechem sounds like a keeper. And you're getting some action from him too? That's always nice.
    Love this little story. Interactions with the locals in their homes is the best way to experience the culture! Go you!

    ReplyDelete